Total Pageviews

Thursday 24 July 2014

'ROUTINE....'


Yesterday was different from my mundane predictable routine, I found myself within the walls of the University of Ibadan, attending the end of year event for school kids.  The short distance from the University gate to the hall used was facilitated by a cab driven by a Master’s graduate.  He charged me a 100 Naira, I was unconvinced of the fairness of the fare.  His attempts to drag and prolong the journey only sought to corroborate what I already knew.  He was fleecing me!  Well in the scheme of things it does not really matter, what interested me was the opportunity to be amongst the youth and rejoice in their achievements. 

The kids oblivious to egos and unbound by reservations were in full form, displaying their talent and their restlessness.  The programme strained too much on the margins of time and went on far too long.  We were, however, rewarded with a packed lunch of a blend of fried and Jollof rice, freckled with peas, graced with chicken and accompanied with a can of malt drink and a bottle of water.  Aided by the kindness of my colleague I was dropped off at a taxi park and made by way back to my suite of rooms at the University where I reside.

Later in the evening I encountered an interesting proposition as I settled down at our local restaurant to a plate of rice garnished with friend plantain and a piece of chicken part to crown it.  It made my food more delicious and more inviting than it seemed.  Then I hear that the General, Buhari a former Nigerian Head of State slipped through the nets that the harbinger of death had carefully prepared for him.  Today I choose to observe rather than analyze....

No comments:

Post a Comment