Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 August 2014

‘I BELIEVE IN THE QUESTION CALLED NIGERIA’



As we enter into the final stretch leading to the governorship elections in the State of Osun, the state I bear close affinity to, I find myself musing it is all well and good for me to reside on the side lines to speak to no one, to be sure of myself and what I believe in, while sipping my bottle of iced water from Shoprite, snacking on groundnuts and surfing the internet.  But it is only well if I have chosen the eternal vow of silence even in the face of oppression wherever it rears its head. Therefore I have resolved today, in the words of Thomas Jefferson that I must not be afraid to follow the truth where ever it leads.  I will dwell on a kind of truth today, scientific truth.  I believe scientific truth ennobles us, it tells us who we are where we have been and where we are going.

While many argue that in politics truth itself is an elusive idea, I believe the truth would only be found when all, including scientists are free to pursue it.

My motivation to continue blogging even unpopular and extraordinary dissent rests upon the fact, that one day my opinion whose time may not come today, becomes common currency 20 years later because someone, somewhere digs it up at 3.am in the morning and popularises it.

Now back to the issue at hand.  I do not and have never supported the Asiwaju Bola Tinubu tendency of gross and dishonest accumulation of the commonwealth of the South West in order to construct an empire.  My naïve belief is that the foundation of your construct matters, one built on corruption will in time be consumed by corruption itself.  Nor do I believe we must reduce ourselves to supporting the most incompetent ‘long term’ Federal Government Nigeria has had to date simply because we need to clip the wings of the Asiwaju tendency. 

The truth is we can support good governance wherever we identify it without succumbing to foolhardy strategic mind games capable of self-immolation. In order words if we allow President Jonathan in for a 2nd term because we believe it’s only through that that our desire and ambition for autonomy can be actualised then we are in for a shocker.   I submit that if we by default allow the PDP to be re-elected then we would have relinquished the only chance of a generation to lift the entity called Nigeria out of its present morass.  Unlike some I come from a place called Nigeria, I believe in the question called Nigeria and I will give all for the notion called Nigeria.

I know, for these views, I please neither the Asiwaju tendency nor the Jonathanians, but then again, I must follow the truth wherever it leads me, because I value my freedom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment