Total Pageviews

Thursday 14 August 2014

‘POST TENEBRAS SPERO LUCEM’

I saw my assumption of office on the Council as the affirmation of my identity and linked it intrinsically with the exercise of power. However, subsequent events proved there was more complexity to the issue of my identity. In 1984, it was three months into the Council year and I had it up to my neck with what I considered the constant snipping and display of ‘petty politics’ from my cabinet colleagues. My ego had become exaggerated by my proximity to power and I reasoned that since Panaf Olajide Olakanmi had schooled me in the art of student union politics I could not allow these ‘young upstarts’ to upstage me. In my musings, dripping with arrogance, I thought and asked:

“What did they understand about politics?”

At the time I thought it was all about ‘Panafism’, an ideology, but upon reflection, I now know it was more about the exercise of raw power and some remorse begins to creep in! My subsequent doctoral research, focusing on ‘Speaking Truth to Power’ confirmed what was an inconvenient truth about me in those very early stages of my political life.

Post tenebras spero lucem means, ‘After darkness a hope for light’, Spero Lucem: ‘A hope for light’ was the motto that the founding fathers bequeathed King’s College, Lagos. All of us who were privileged to have sauntered through the gates into King’s College, were drilled with the idea, that no matter the hopelessness of our circumstance, the barriers we faced, no matter what path we had trod before, that at the end of it all lay hope.

On my first day in King’s College, Lagos I arrived in my mother’s cream coloured iconic Volkswagen Beetle and stepped out into a morning air filled with clouds of dust created by the Harmattan breeze. The Harmattan has sometimes been described as something that comes with terror and menace with a strong naked touch of nature poisoning the cold morning. The morning of that day certainly felt like that. Earlier in 1974, my mother had sold the K70 Volkswagen sedan my father bought because of the incessant mechanical problems it caused her.

The imported version of the Beetle she acquired was one of the most iconic cars ever produced, it was a classic and it had so many myths woven around it. I remember the rattle of its air-cooled four-cylinder engine and the feeling of having my ankles cooled by the floor-level heating vent. The seats were covered in black mock patterned leather. We called it ‘Ijapa’ a Yoruba word for tortoise. This reflected the strength of its bodywork but also the ponderous but assured manner in which it moved when driven on the roads of Lagos. There were rumours that it could leap over the ditches but for my mother it was simply a workhorse, a utility vehicle. The car was almost always filled up with cartons of beverages and provisions she purchased for the buttery she ran and managed.

With my mother in tow, we were confronted with the brooding presence of Mr. Njoku the head security man who prised the gates open. He was a very serious character, spotting some wildly growing whiskers, had pronounced ‘K’ shaped legs that seemed to constantly knock against each other as he walked. He always carried a menacing black coloured baton. I paced myself and walked through the gates on 5th December 1977. On that day, I was oblivious to its immaculately kept lawns, its neatly arranged classrooms and its well-stocked library. What beguiled me was not its long and chequered history, what excited me was not the first class facilities it possessed, what amazed me was certainly not its record of academic excellence. It was the exercise of power exhibited by the prefects, the charisma of the School Captain Obineche, the tall light complexioned boy with Afro cut, and the opportunity to appropriate one’s democratic right from an early age. At a stage when the military rule was still a feature of the Nigerian life and we could not vote for our own government, in King’s College we had that right. It was much later that I appreciated the diversity of the varied origins of its students was what really made the school truly unique.

I was happy to be re-united with all former University of Lagos Staff School pupils, Afolabi Omidiji aka ‘Wheezee’, Oluyinka Olutoye aka ‘Toy’, Dolapo Ogunmekan, Akintayo Ojo, Ayodele Onafeko, ’Segun Alawaiye, ’Folarin Ososami, Ayorinde Oyewole, Omotayo Johnson, Joel Ugborogho, 'Tola Durojaiye, 'Tony Uduebo aka 'Ebo' and Joseph Ownwuchekwa aka ‘JAMO’.  It would now seem that my earlier natural shyness and awkwardness only masked a deep hunger and thirst for power. At age eleven, I was moody, introverted and needy, and then only sketching and drawing pictures and cartoons would suffice. As years wore on, deep down in my subconscious, this became inadequate and I concluded that only the acquisition of power could offer me the perfect antidote. I was an average artist and liked to scribble on every desk I owned, it was a way of rebuffing any invasions and claiming my own personal space. I would draw a portrait of myself with the inscriptions: ‘Oje The Power’ and ‘Oje The Pirate’. In my dream world, power is what seemed to matter. It was this that seduced me to position myself for election as vice-class captain in my First Form, winning and going on to ably assist the captain, ‘Wale Goodluck.


No comments:

Post a Comment