Total Pageviews

Friday 23 January 2015

GEJ SUPPORTERS FORGE CAMBRIDGE LETTER TO DISCREDIT BUHARI


From Sodiq Alabi facebook    https://www.facebook.com/sodiqoalabi


Question:

Did Cambridge really confirm that Hausa language was an exam subject in 1961 WASC?

Answer: YES.

How do I know? Because I am the one who sent them an email asking for confirmation and I got a positive response.  

Why did I send them an email?

Because since General Muhammadu Buhari's Statement of Result (SoR) was released on January 21, his detractors have been coming up with some truly, embarrassingly pathetic arguments in their bid to dismiss the authenticity of the SoR. Bucky Hassan, a private citizen like myself, has dismantled all their puerile arguments in this brilliant post (https://www.facebook.com/buckyhas/posts/10152808456886676 ).

However, not withstanding Ms Hassan's intervention, the anti Buhari crowd continue to spread their lies. As a fine user of Google (if I do say so myself), I thought I should subject what I consider their most unfounded argument to a basic scrutiny, which is the argument that Hausa was not an examination subject in 1961. They even went further to claim that no Nigerian school was teaching Hausa as of 1961. Some of them said that it was until 1971 or so that Hausa was taught and examined in  schools.

I didn't have to use Google to know that they  were wrong on all counts. Anybody with the slightest interest in Nigerian History would tell you that there was no time in the 20th Century that Hausa was not taught and examined. Please read this work on how Hausa became a subject taught and examined in Nigeriahttp://org.uib.no/smi/sa/15/15Philips.pdf. Hausa Language became part of the school curriculum in the early part of the 20thcentury, at least before 1930 (Toyin Falola, Culture and Customs of Nigeria, page 60- available online)

Anyway, I took their claim to Google and it fell apart. I was able to get the email of the Cambridge Assessment Archive Service fromhttp://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/our-research/archives-service/ and I sent them this email at 1:31 pm of January 22:

From: sodiq alabi [mailto:sodiqalabi@hotmail.com]
Sent: 22 January 2015 13:31
To: Archives Team
Subject: 1961 WASC
Sent: 22 January 2015 13:31
To: Archives Team
Subject: 1961 WASC

Hello,


I will like to confirm if your examination body offered Hausa Language in the 1961 West  African School Certificate examination it organised.

Thank you.
---

And this is the response  I got three hours later:



Dear Sodiq Alabi

According to the Regulations for 1961, African Language papers, including those for Hausa were set for the West African School Certificate.

Jacky EmersonArchiveService Delivery OfficerCambridgeAssessment Archives Service

And this is what I did next:

I made a Facebook post about my findings https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200156831681062&set=a.1039486204946.5438.1759279248&type=1&theater , and I attached a screen grab of my email exchange with Cambridge.  The post and the picture have made their way around Naija cyber space like wildfire. They have been correctly used by couple of online media including Sahara Reporters and naij.com.

--- other materials deleted ----

No comments:

Post a Comment