Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 October 2015

‘FAREWELL TO GREAT IFE’

Over the next few months in 1988, I devoted my attention to my budding ‘legal practice’ on the campus. The Obafemi Awolowo Student’s Union allowed law students to set up chambers and law offices. It is through these that many students were represented when they had matters before the Students’ Union Judicial Council.  Practising final Year law students were addressed as ‘Senior Advocates of the Campus’ (SAC). Pedro Okoro, my friend was elected the ‘Lord Chancellor’ and sat with other elected judges who adjudicated over various cases.  As a result of my practice, I became the Legal Adviser to the Medical Students’ Association and was involved in providing them some strategic political advice during their national convention. I took on a number of cases, spending a significant amount of time before the Judicial Council.  I remember representing ’Tunde Olupona, my friend and classmate who had been dismissed as an Editor of the Bang magazine.  Through grit, application and determination we won the case and he was reinstated.

It was with some regret that I narrowly missed obtaining a Second Class Lower degree and I had to settle for Third Class honours.  It was International Law that appeared to bring down my cumulative grade point average and even though I was rebuked by one of my lecturers for the choice of course I do not regret choosing it.  Many of my friends were not surprised feeling it was a reflection of the limited time I devoted to my studies. I place things in perspective and believe it was a joy to graduate, for someone who was rusticated just before promotion examinations; I am at least very thankful to God.  The pain of a Third Class degree was later erased when I obtained a Masters with distinction and acquired a Doctorate degree in the United Kingdom at The Nottingham Trent University.  It was onwards to Victoria Island, Lagos to attend the Nigerian Law School and qualify as a Barrister and Solicitor.  Once I got there, in search of my father’s identity and achievements, I spent a lot of time visiting the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) on the Victoria Island and I became an Associate member.  I felt at home and dwelt on pleasant memories of my father and was able to meet with his friend Mr. ’Gboyega Banjo, the Director of Library and Documentation Services at the Institute.  Mr. Banjo had been one of the librarians at the University of Lagos while my father worked there and they had struck up a close friendship.  I have kept close contact with him over the years and I appreciate the time he has always given me. 

The Institute’s buildings were completed in 1965 but its architecture had been designed far ahead of its time.  It had the main building, an imposing two floors, surrounding with verandas and flats at the top; the ground floor housed the open plan library.  The lecture theatre was attached to it like a complex and was regularly hired out to members of the public because of the sedate atmosphere it projected.   There was the octagon shaped council chambers used for roundtable conferences and other seminars.  It was in here all the portraits of past Directors-General including my father’s adorned the walls.  Later on and extension of a two story building was added but it struggled to conform to the earlier classical architecture.  It was there the Directors of the Institute relocated their offices.

At the NIIA, in the lecture theatre, I became reacquainted with General Olusegun Obasanjo who was then the former military Head of State of Nigeria.  He had been invited to deliver a lecture and his invitation was solely because of the stature and the added credence he gave to the event. 

In 1985 through the courtesy of my Uncle Chief Adeagbo Odeniyi, I had visited him on his farm at Otta.  My uncle a budding farmer was intent on expansion and thought the General could offer a way forward.  We were ushered into the presence of Obasanjo who was bedecked in a simple danshiki and was seated on a table.  He looked older and his frame less rotund but he had maintained his wicked sense of humour.  I had looked forward to sumptuous meal to satisfy the cravings of my palate, however, all he was able to offer was a visit to the worker’s canteen, which I politely declined.  However, this was not my only close proximity to the General, his son Olusegun was close to me at King’s College where I was his senior and then we later became classmates.  The General impressed me as someone who had the good of the country at heart but was too self-opinionated to accept mistakes when he made them.

At the same NIIA lecture theatre, I also had the privilege of listening to baritone voice of Alhaji Adamu Ciroma, an ex-minister under President Sheu Shagari, who later became the Finance Minister under Obasanjo.  He had come to deliver a lecture at the Institute.  He shared an anecdote about two ministers, a Nigerian and an Argentinian in an attempt to describe the extent of the prevailing corruption.  The Nigerian minister had visited the Argentinian minster in Buenos Aires and was astonished by the extent of his wealth and the opulence he displayed.  The inquisitive Nigerian minister asked the Argentina about the source of his wealth.  In response, the minister took him to a newly constructed bridge, pointed to it and I said:

‘You see that bridge, ten percent of it was mine.’

The Nigerian minister shook his head assimilated the information and returned to Nigeria.  A year later, there was an exchange visit by his Argentinean counterpart.    The minister was befuddled and confounded by the extent and extravagance displayed by the Nigerian minister.  He wondered aloud to the Nigeria about the newly acquired wealth.  The Nigerian took him on a tour of a derelict site, a site so extensive and then pointed to it and told the minister:

‘You see that uncompleted project out there?  Hundred percent of it was mine.’

After completing Law School I found myself following my twin’s footpath, she had undertaken her one-year compulsory National Youth Service in Ogun State and now I discovered I was posted to the same state of the Nigerian Federation.  I arrived early in the morning at Onikolobo, Abeokuta the Youth Corpers camp, a derelict school, with classrooms set up in dormitory style. I remain grateful to the then Treasurer of the KCOBA who ensured I had adequate pocket money at the time.   The washing facilities where make shift and we had to make do with dug up pits in the ground.  Abeokuta, a Yoruba town with some very recent illustrious history behind it, got is name because of its hilly terrain and it means a town under the rock.  Most of its indigenes were refugees from the ravages of the 19th century Yoruba Civil War. 

I assumed that I would settle for a quiet life in Ogun State but when I saw Kekemeke D. Isaacs, ’Yinka Odumakin, Adeniyi Adewunmi and Adeniran at the camp I knew that it would be far from quiet.  I was elected the Chairman of the Food Committee of the camp and this meant I avoided most of the strenuous activities other Youth Corp members were expected to engage in.  The whole catering operation in the camp was a hotbed of corruption and Adeniran and I spent most of the time thwarting attempts by staff to pilfer the food.  On a few occasions the staff attempted to bribe us with choice cuts of prime beef, but Adeniran and myself took a principled stand and rejected any such attempts. I made it a point of duty to accompany the staff to the wholesale markets to establish none of the purchasing processes were inflated. It was at the camp I became close to a reserved but beautiful lady, Olajumoke Akinkuolie who later agreed to become my wife.  My attempts at foiling corruption once brought the wrath of one of the caterers who proceeded to give me a trouncing.  It was the quick thinking of Adeniran and other Camp staff’s intervention that saved me from a utter and complete mauling.

At the end of the six weeks camp, to my utter surprise I was elected into the Executive of the Christian Corpers’ Fellowship as Abeokuta Zonal co-ordinator.  This ensured that my time of service was occupied with spiritual exploits, which I mixed with my new life as a State Prosecutor.  I would hold court in Oke-Ijeun a nicely proportioned bungalow which Dr. Olufemi Ashley-Dejo the father of my friend ‘AD99’ had allowed me to use for the year.  You could hear many in the locality hailing me ‘Lawyer, Lawyer.’  It would seem that from now on I would restrict myself simply to matters, which seemed spiritual. 

However, whilst Nigeria continues to stumble around for lack of leadership I cannot remain silent nor on the sidelines and the next chapter will begin to explore the way forward for our nation.  I repeat the words of Dr. Martin Luther King that:

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”


It would seem that my history, my father’s memories have prepared me for such a time as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment