Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 January 2016

Eghes has gone home…….


Today, we stand to rejoice at a life dwelt to its fullness and yet we come to mourn a loss that continues to reverberate around so many.  However, the truth is Eghes went home a few weeks ago on Christmas Day. The fact is he is no longer with us.  I cannot urge him to rest in peace because that will be superfluous, as the facts have spoken. He is already in heaven so our prayerful urges for rest matter not.

We still stumble around in shock searching for a clear meaning to what his sudden departure portends. To me, it brings home our immortality for I had just been released from the clutches of intensive care on Christmas Day when the news hit me like waves created by a Tsunami of unstoppable force.

I knew Eghes from afar and close up, as his senior, his classmate and then as his junior as he glided inexorably towards success at King’s College, Lagos and his profession. I know that he never allowed Sickle cell anemia to define or constrict him. I know he celebrated achievement and hard work.  I know the social media pugilist who never gave up on an argument.  I know him as one on a different side of the political divide to me, but always with the good grace to maintain relationships. I know he loved his wife Awesiri so much and was a proud dad to their son.


I last visited Eghes at his Opebi office in 2013 but we spoke a few times on the telephone and regularly on the Facebook until the hiatus of 2015.  I know I miss Eghes and I know we will meet again, reunited in glory and the magnificent splendor of our maker, in sometime to come, in the future. Now I utter the words good night Egheomhanre, the brave one, adieu dear friend and classmate till we meet again. Floreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment