Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 June 2016

Nothing Called Sudden Death?

By : AJAGZY OKUNRIN OGUN

I am a high blood pressure patient, I know in Africa we don't like to talk about illnesses, but knowledge saves lives. I was first diagnosed in 2012 and I was initially in denial and said it was some kind of fluke when the doctor told me I would probably have to take my medication for the rest of my life.

i take my medication daily and also own a blood pressure reader which I use to monitor myself. I also know that when I exercise regularly, my blood presuure normalizes. I have not being faithful with my exercise routine because this last year has being exceedingly tedious for me.

Without mincing words these are perhaps the most challenging times of my life and I give myself the excuse that I have so much to do and the pressure of bills and demands that I have put exercise in a back corner of my schedules. I however do religiously take my medication and tell myself. "Once I am in a better place with my business I will resume my exercise regime". I have also not being checking my blood pressure regularly.

This morning when I read about the passing of Amodu. I learnt he was a blood pressure patient, I gathered last night when he complained of a chest pain his blood pressure was 140/100. So reluctantly this morrning, I picked up the blood pressure reader, strapped it on my arm and sought to take my first measurement in weeks. It was alarming, 150/105. I immediately doubled my dose of my medication as advised by my physician and I have decided to no longer let the weight of my challenges send me to an early grave. I have put off my main phone all day so I can have some peace.

I am currently lounging in my neighborhood pool with my daughters taking it easy, I will resume my exercise regime on Monday. I don't really eat much, but I will pay attention to what I eat as well. I don't drink enough to give me a health problem so on that ground i am good. My major issue is the stress of business and the financial burden of  having to uproot my life and living in a new place. I had to start my business from scratch over here and 3 straight years of paying bills with limited income. But I realize,if I stress myself to death, I would only make life more difficult for my dependents. So from now on my HEALTH becomes number one. I am confident my business will get itself on a stroll at the right time, I have done it before so I can do it all over again.

My advise to all of you my friends particularly those of us on the wrong side of middle age, we need to take better care of our bodies. There is nothing like SUDDEN DEATH, mostly these are manifestations of symptoms we have long ignored and bad habits we have formed over the years. I am getting my health back and I would be more physicaly and mentally prepared to deal with all of life's challenges. How about you? High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, High Colesterol and such diseases can be managed effectively and we can still live full healthy and long lives for our kids,

No comments:

Post a Comment