Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 May 2017

My First Lecture…

In my short period of existence, I had pleaded before judges, campaigned in the presence of people numbering in their thousands, faced the world on the airwaves through BBC, preached in countless of Churches and found myself influencing motley of audiences.  The experience and knowledge of all these encounters boosted my pride, inflated my ego and sated me in unspeakable arrogance.  But nothing within all that range prepared me to face a class of students at Lead City University, Ibadan on that fateful day.

In my lecture taken under the auspices of the Faculty of Management and Social Sciences I was wracked with anxiety.  I needed a crouch to deliver me from my inadequacies. Thoughts flew across my mind in a flash. How would I disseminate my knowledge of Business Law, its intricacies, its nuances and its overall objectives.  Will the students appreciate me, will they grasp the purport of my words or would I become a quavering of a man who simply cannot hack it?

This was how I approached the lecture theatre populated with rows and rows of students, presenting a riot of colours, in all shapes and sizes with a nod and wink to the corporate dress sense. I flashed my brand new slim Apple mac-computer for functionality, it contained all my notes.  Without much more of a glance in their direction, I ushered myself to the wooden Lead City University branded rostrum neatly placed in the front of the theatre.  


In what seemed like a long silence, descended upon the lecture theatre, and the tension became palpable. I could have sworn my imagination conveyed from outside, the howling of winds, flapping sounds of the wings of bats flying back from their insect hunting, interrupting me, as my maiden lecture was about to commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment