Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 December 2015

Grabbing Life with fistfuls...In tribute to Egheomhanre Eyieyien (1967- 2015)

Grabbing with all fortitude the healing God has promised, the opportunities of medical intervention and the relentless encouragement of my wife and others, I stumbled into Christmas Day. The signs were unmistakable it was to be no ordinary one, sprinkles of indications were evident in the succumbing of my health, in my sterile surroundings, in the army of doctors and medics gently invading my space, my body and night. These dragged with it disorientation drenched in bewilderment.

But all these were but a build up to a news of unbelievable proportions, a shock so immense which words cannot yet shape or contextualise. Little did I know that as I was emerging from the pains and strains of my indulgence, that my friend, classmate and one of my set captains 1978-83 had slipped away into eternity!

I encountered you in your first form when you were admitted into King's College, you were a slight youngster, bouncing, grabby cheeks and spindly legs while I was not so di-similar, cheeks excepted. You had a sunny disposition following your every move and with time we became classmates.  You were caring, strongly opinionated and with impact of friends like Ifeanyi Onah you found your faith. We crossed paths in the King's College Student's Council. 

In later terms we reunited on Facebook, at your office and a number of telephone calls.  We almost never agreed but you cared for me and treated me and all others as brothers.   You had my time, you called my name and met with me, you demonstrated in words and deeds, the traits of a brother, friend and king's man. Your wife, your son and wider family are poorer today but consoled by what God did through you.

I know that the streets of heaven are paved with one more addition today, our monumental loss is their eternal gain. My friend I thank you. 



Olu Ojedokun KCOB (1977-1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment